CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR PART TIME BUSINESS AND TRADE CONSULTANT
As part of the USAID Mission to Greenland’s Enterprise Driven Growth Initiative (EDGI) Resonance Global is helping to build bilateral commercial relationships and increase US-Greenlandic trade. Resonance is seeking part time consultant(s) with experience working in Greenland on issues related to small business growth, trade, and logistics to work on various activities including but not limited to:
- Identifying and coordinating outreach to various stakeholders in industry associations, business consultants, and logistics/shipping providers in Greenland to support B2B connections/matchmaking, and other private sector actors.
- Provide market-based research of trade-focused service gaps to build the capacity of Greenlandic importers/exports.
- Support the outreach/coordination for potential investment conferences/forums.
For more information on the EDGI activities the consultant would contribute to please see the ‘Background’ section below.
TIMELINE & ESTIMATED DAYS OF WORK
The consultant(s) will begin activity engagement in May 2023 and contribute part-time to activities as requested through September 2024.
The consultant(s) will report to the EDGI Trade Promotion Lead based on Washington DC, and coordinate with other team members working on the activity who may be based on Greenland or the US. The total time commitment is estimated to be the equivalent of 30 days (a day being 8 hours of work) over the total period from May 2023 to September 2024.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a field related to economics, international business, international relations, public policy or similar.
- Experience conducting research on Greenlandic trade issues, and working with public and private sector actors on Greenlandic trade.
- Professional relationships with or connections to businesses and industry associations in the three targeted sectors: consumables, outdoor goods and apparel, and tourism/hospitality is preferred.
- Professional relationships with or connections to public sector stakeholders and institutions who support or regulate trade with Greenland is preferred.
- Must be fluent in English and Greenlandic.
- Must be a citizen or permanent resident of Greenland.
- Full time employees of the Government of Greenland are not eligible unless on leave of absence.
- Experience working on USAID projects preferred.
Daily rate will be based on experience and cannot exceed the USAID contractor salary threshold of USD $750/day.
Interested applicants may apply by sending their CV/Resume to the following:
Andrew Morrissette, Trade Promotion Lead
Kaitlan Havlicek McClenahan, Senior Analyst
The USAID Enterprise Driven Growth Initiative (EDGI) is working with Greenlandic and US businesses, associations and other stakeholders to increase bilateral trade and build lasting commercial relationships between Greenland and the US. Activities that the consultants(s) would contribute to focus on helping Greenlandic companies identify market opportunities in the US and overcome barriers to trading with the US. These EDGI activities can be summarized into the following categories:
- Trade Promotion / Matchmaking
The Resonance EDGI team will help firms identify potential buyers in the US and Greenlandic market and support them in navigating the shipping logistics, regulatory hurdles, and more, contributing to the goal of facilitating one container shipment between the U.S. and Greenland by the end of FY24. DEMD will work with local stakeholders including industry associations and business consultants in Greenland to prioritize, contact, and support Greenlandic businesses actively looking to expand their imports/exports with the U.S..
- Demand Aggregation in Greenland
Working with a selected group of importers in Greenland, DEMD will look to help coordinate/aggregate imports from the U.S., to reduce costs associated with less-than-container load/shipments. The DEMD activity will directly facilitate aggregation for the first container shipment, and through this process will also seek to identify a stakeholder who could act as the honest broker to coordination aggregation for future shipments.
- Identify Trade-Focused Service Gaps
DEMD will work with importers/exporters in Greenland to understand their current constraints and capacity gaps that prevent them from increasing their trade profile. This activity will look to build upon that by mapping those gaps against the local trade focused BDS service provider market to determine what local services need to be developed to ensure the long-term sustainability of increased U.S.-Greenland trade.
- Business Forums, Delegations, and Events
DEMD will work with companies, government stakeholders, and event organizers to provide opportunities for companies to network and explore bilateral trade, investment, and other business relationships.
Specific work products, or results that the consultants may be responsible for under these activity categories include:
Trade Promotion / Matchmaking
- Support the Trade Promotion Team Lead in identifying 15-20 established Greenlandic firms with demonstrated investment in expanding or starting to import/export to/from the U.S.
- Support the development of a set of criteria to prioritize 5-10 of those firms to receive direct support.
- Support the development of a ‘co-investment plan’ outlining what costs will be covered through DEMD funded support and what costs will be covered by the enterprise for specific services to drive increased trade through market research.
Demand Aggregation in Greenland
- Support engagement with /outreach to logistics/shipping providers to explore potential for a more coordinated, single container approach to U.S.-Greenland trade.
Identify Trade-Focused Service Gaps
- Support the development of a strategy for building the local capacity of Greenlandic importers/exports to solve for trade-focused service gaps.
- Support the development of an information portal for trade-focused BDS providers.
Business Forums, Delegations, and Events
- Support the outreach/coordination and market research for an investment conference/forum.